Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Honk, honk, rattle, rattle, rattle, crash, beep beep

I have (as I mentioned before) been sitting near the front of the buses most of the time. I can stave off motion sickness that way. I have been observing the usage of the (air) horns on the buses and tried to decipher the meanings. I have put them in order from a friendly little beep to a loud sustained roar:

I am available to transport you - wanna ride? (to people standing on the side of the road)
(after dropping off stuff at what was obviously home) -- See you later
Hi fellow bus driver (going in the opposite direction)
In case you didn't notice me, I am here
I am making a new lane of traffic between you (what do those silly line painters know anyway)
I am about to do a u-turn in front of you
You might want to get back in line (that oncoming traffic looks awfully close)
I am passing you (on a blind curve while talking on my cellphone)
I am passing you on the inside -- did you notice? (and by the way, I am talking on my cellphone)
WATCH OUT (the front wheel of your bicycle seems to be in my path)
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING (starting to back out in front of me)
GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU STUPID LOOSE HORSE -- quit trotting in front of me
(on entering a village) WE ARE COMING IN -- SCATTER (or come and get on if you want)
LETS GO ALREADY (when traffic is stopped)
and (just like at home) --- YOU DRIVE LIKE A DICKHEAD (only I am allowed to do that)

No comments:

Post a Comment