Saturday, November 28, 2009

What the Sam Hill was I thinking?

Zip lining through the canopy is definitely not for fat fifty-somethings. I had already decided that maybe it was not such a good idea before I got there. I had been expecting that the tour would have some Aussies or something on it but it turned out that not another soul spoke a word of English. They strap you in a repelling harness and attach you to a steel cable with a little hand pulley. You are supposed to relax (ha ha) and zip down the line and land on the next platform. I was told the sign for brake and I broke too hard so I stopped before the platform. Then the guy said let go (30 or 40 feet off the ground) and turn around and pull yourself hand over hand to the platform. I did manage it but I was completely freaked out. On the second line I did not brake but still did not make it to the platform. This time I froze and had to be helped to the platform. Things were decidedly NOT GOING WELL at this point for me. The third line was fine because it ended on terra firma. Unfortunately we had to walk immediately to another platform. I had completely lost any nerve I had started with at this point and the guide had to slide in tandem with me on this and the next line. At this point they radioed basecamp and got someone to come and walk me out of the forest. Oh, well.

I think that if I had not been completely alone in the adventure, things may have been different. Not that I feel I need any excuse not to be completely comfortable suspending myself way too high above the forest floor and zipping down a cable. There were three other sets of people in the group. A young couple, a group of three buddies and a (I am guessing divorced) father and his twelve year old daughter. The father was obviously not comfortable at first but he had to step up in front of the girl so he ended up getting into it. Similarly the guy from the couple and one of the three buddies. All three of them I think were helped by being with someone else who was doing it and having to save face. It was obvious that another one of the three was a real daredevil because he was in like a dirty shirt from the beginning.

Anyway...I am not sorry I tried but I am equally not sorry I bailed. I know what ziplining is now and I don't think it is for me. Add it to the bungee jumping column (not that I have ever tried that) and give it a miss from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment