Thursday, November 26, 2009

Last bus ride ahead...

We are off back to San Jose, Costa Rica for the weekend and will be returning to Canada on Tuesday. Today will be our last big bus trip and our last Central American border crossing -- yeah on both counts.

Yesterday we got up early and caught the tourist train that follows the Panama Canal from Panama City to Colon. It takes about an hour. It was nice but you don´t see a lot of details of the locks as you pass by. Most of the canal is actually a man made lake in between the two lock systems. There are three sets of locks, two which step up from the Pacific and one which steps up from the Atlantic in three stages. The rest is the big lake in the middle. The canal can handle the same size ships as our seaway right now but they are digging out a new set of locks at a cost of billions so they can handle the super tankers soon. Given the state of world shipping right now, I wish them luck. I hope they realize something in return for the investment.

I am not sure yet what I will be up to in San Jose...I still have some museums and I am going to see if I am too heavy for the zipline canopy tours...don´t want to come crashing out of any trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment