Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's a good thing we are taking that malaria medication....

Because I actually got bitten by two mosquitos last week in Belize and I am sure they are the two that were carrying malaria! I actually feel a bit like a dork carrying around a premethyrin impregnated mosquito net in my pack AND taking the medication. I guess somewhere in Central America there are a lot of mosquitoes but we haven't come across them yet. I also haven´t had much use for the three rain ponchos I ended up bringing. I bought two (the heir and a spare we will call them) the day before we came away. I also bought a small flashlight. I have this MEC fanny pack that I took when we went on the big trip 3 years ago and I grabbed it to use again as my day pack. In a pocket of the fanny pack I hadn´t checked before we came away, I found 2 little flashlights and another rain poncho. I did manage to give the turtle light to the toddler on the bus the other day but I don´t know who I would give the other ponchos to so I will just hang on to them. I think I will be able to give the mosquito net to the people who we are giving school supplies to in the Dominican Republic when we go over new years. If not, I guess Nicky and Surya can give it away in India again next time they go....

For those who care about these kinds of things, Nestle is indeed still running reprehensible ads down here. I can´t speak for the rest of Central America because my spanish is not good enought to follow the ads on the bus radios, but when we were in Belize I heard and add for Nestle infant formula (aka ¨your childs best choice¨--aarrgh). At least at home they make them start the ads with ´breast milk is best but....´.

I finally saw school buses that were past working even in this part of the world when we were in Belize. One day I saw two that were growing into the ground and the top of another that was being used as a roof with a house built underneath it. I wonder every day how long the school buses were being used originally and how long they have been kept going here. Some of them still have the school bus rules in them (especially in Belize where they speak English). I noticed they had a definitely 70's feel to the school rules (trying to use ¨cool¨ language). They must be ancient by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment